Acton Hill 263 - closed branch

Photo:263 - 265 Churchfield Road, Acton

263 - 265 Churchfield Road, Acton

Chiswick Gazette

Waite, Rose and Taylor

By Linda Moroney

It was almost certainly in 1904 that Wallace Wyndham Waite, with two friends, Arthur Rose and David Taylor, decided to go into business on their own, with the financial backing of a Charles Oliver Hicks. Their first shop was 263 Acton Hill, High Street, Acton, and this was known as Waite, Rose and Taylor. By 1906 Mr Taylor had left the business.

In 1908 Waite and Rose formed themselves into a limited company which they called Waitrose. They also acquired, possibly by lease, the two neighbouring shops at 265 and 267 Acton High Street and expanded into these. The shops went up to the corner of Woodlands Avenue and the Waite's lived over this corner of the property. The Acton Hill shops closed in 1914 and from that date Mr Waite lived over the Gloucester Road property.

This page was added by Linda Moroney on 26/07/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.