Waitrose Wine Departments
Waitrose started trading in wine and spirits around 1910. By 1930 only three branches had wine and spirit departments – Gloucester Road, Surbiton and Windsor (Castle Hill) however customers could now also order from other branches.
Customers had to buy 3 dozen beers at a time!
In 1932 Gerrards Cross opened a separate wine shop next to the Waitrose store – it operated under an excise licence and a wholesale beer licence as a Justice’s off-licence was refused. Customers had to buy 3 dozen beers at a time!