Mr A C S Hawes
Mr A C S Hawes, formerly Managing Director, John Lewis, succeeded Mr Stanley Carter as Director of Trading, Food, in February 1973.
Mr Hawes joined the Partnership in 1950 after service with the Indian Army and graduating with honors in Modern Languages at Keble College, Oxford. After some time in the dress piece goods buying office he was appointed buyer’s secretary for model coats. In 1952 he was appointed assistant buyer for half size and large-size coats. In 1953 he transferred to John Lewis as an Assistant to the Managing Director and in 1954 became Staff Assistant in the branch. He moved to General Managership of Pratts in 1956 and to that of Bon Marche in 1957. In 1959 he became Managing Director of Heelas and succeeded Mr Carter as Managing Director of John Lewis in October 1967.
Mr Hawes retired from the Partnership in 1977